Mold infestations can hinder your home. Here’s how to get rid of them.
Mold and mildew are fungi that happily grow anywhere there is moisture. This can be a headache for homeowners that work hard to protect their house. Mold and mildew (the beginning of mold) are not only unsightly, but they are bad for our health, contributing to allergies and asthma. What’s more, mold may cause structural damage to a building if left untreated.
Fortunately, there are many things that you can do to keep these invaders from running wild in your home!
Fix moisture problems in the home. First and foremost, get to the source of the issue. Stop all water leaks, whether it’s underneath the sink or in the attic. Mold thrives in a wet and warm environment, so kitchens and bathrooms are common culprits, but be sure to check everywhere in your home.
Increase air circulation. Ventilate your home with fresh air from the outside to dry up any excess water. Provide warm air to all areas of the home, especially in damp corners. After cooking or taking a steamy shower, open windows to let the fresh air circulate and dry up any excess water.
Don’t let wet items linger. Dry pots and pans right away after doing the dishes, and don’t leave wet clothes around the house. This only adds moisture to the air, creating the perfect environment for mold and mildew.
Try a natural remedy. As a safe and environmentally-friendly alternative to bleach and other chemical anti-fungal agents, you may want to look in your kitchen cupboard or pantry and try some distilled vinegar, tea tree oil, or grapefruit seed extract. Use any of these straight to scrub away any mold or mildew. Once you’re done, dry the area well to prevent mold from growing back.
Clean the home often. Dusting, sweeping, and a little elbow grease will remove or kill much of the surface mold and mildew before they get a chance to settle and spread.
Work to protect your home from top to bottom. Securing the right insurance policy can help you to do just that.