Use these tips to help avoid an accident this season.
The outside temperatures are going nowhere but down, which can lead to seriously dangerous road conditions if you are not careful. While there is no way to avoid the roads this winter, there are steps that you should take for safe travels. Keep these winter driving tips in mind to help avoid any car insurance claims this season.
- If the weather conditions are really poor, consider changing your plans so that you don’t have to get behind the wheel.
- Always wear your seatbelt while you are in the car. Along with being the law, it will help to keep you much safer if you do get into an accident.
- Slow down. Keep in mind that the posted speed limit is only for ideal weather conditions. Driving slower will help to ensure you have enough time to react to any issues on the road.
- If your car starts to skid, stay calm. Do not slam on the brakes. Instead, simply let your foot off the gas and turn your steering wheel in the direction that you and to go. Once you feel your tires regain traction, gradually put pressure on your brakes.
- Clear all the snow off your windshield, headlights, hood, and brake lights before you head out onto the road.
- Make sure that your windshield wipers are in good condition and that you have plenty of windshield wiper fluid to keep your view clear.
- Check your emergency kit to ensure you have everything you need if you break down, including blankets, a cell phone charger, water, food, flares, and reflective triangles.