Money Saving Heating Tips
As January comes to an end, you may be getting tired of the cold winter weather. Turing up your thermostat is a great way to keep your home warm and toasty, but it also leads to an increase in your energy bill. Keep these tips in mind to help you stay warm through the end of winter without increasing your bill.
- Befriend the sun – while the sun is out during the day, open your blinds to let the sun naturally heat your home. Make sure to remember to close your blinds when the sun goes down to prevent any cold drafts from getting inside.
- Cover your windows – there are tight fitting, insulated shades or drapes that are available that will help to block out cold drafts. You can also use clear, heavy-duty plastic to seal your windows to keep the cold weather out.
- Adjust your temperature – Maintain the temperate of your home at between 68 and 72 degrees while you are home. When you are sleeping, or away from your home, consider setting the temperate a few degrees cooler such as to 65 degrees. Installing a programmable thermostat can help to simply manage an energy efficient temperature in your home.
- NEVER set your thermostat lower than 55 degrees during the cold weather months. Setting the temperature lower than 55 degrees can lead to pipes freezing and bursting, and severe water damage to your home. This is especially true if you will be leaving your house unoccupied while on vacation or travelling for other purposes. Even a small leak in a pipe that goes unnoticed can leak thousands of gallons of water in a few days as it leaks incessantly.
- Seal air drafts – check the weather stripping around all of the doors and windows in your house. If you find any weather stripping that is damaged or missing, replace it so that the cold air stays out and the warm air stays in.
- Check your heater – hire a professional to check your heating system and do any necessary preventive maintenance or repairs. A properly working heater will heat your home more efficiently.
For all of your home insurance coverage needs, contact your local Trusted Choice Independent Agent, Abbate Insurance in New Haven, Connecticut.
Leave A Comment