Safe Winter Driving Tips
With the cold winter weather setting in, snow and ice will be making their appearance on the streets and byways. Keep these winter driving tips in mind to ensure you make it to your destination safely this season.
- Check the weather report before you head out. If the weather conditions are too dangerous to drive in, postpone your trip and stay home.
- Drive slower than usual. The faster you drive on icy roads, the more likely you are to lose control of your car.
- Buckle up each time you get in your car. Wearing your seatbelt can significantly decrease your chances of being injured in a crash.
- Avoid slamming on your brakes. Slamming on your brakes is likely to cause your car to skid, and on snow and ice covered roads this is all the more likely. Pump your breaks to get your car to stop. If you have anti-lock brakes apply firm even pressure on the brake pedal.
- If your car does start to skid or slide, steer your wheels into the direction of the skid or slide. This will allow the wheels to regain traction and give you control over the vehicle.
Being prepared with the right auto insurance policy is the best way to protect yourself from losses caused by an accident on wintery roads. Contact the insurance professionals at Abbate Insurance in New Haven, Connecticut for all of your auto insurance coverage needs.