Large and small, all businesses have risks of claims relating to employment practices!
Despite your company only employing twenty people, your business is at risk of lawsuits from disgruntled employees. When employees sue, it’s typically over liability, race discrimination, and sexual harassment.
During the 2012 fiscal year, almost 100,000 private sector discrimination complaints were received. Employers paid out a record $467 million for wage and hour settlements during this time. In 2009, the average compensatory award in federal employment cases was greater than $490,000. The cost of your reputation can be equally destructive.
As a business owner, it’s important that you make sure to follow all legal guidelines surrounding employment practices. Buying a business insurance policy with employment practices liability coverage is a smart way to protect yourself financially when the unexpected happens. Should an employee or contractor sue you, your insurance will kick in to cover expenses, fees, and defense.
If you’re wondering what risks your business is exposed to, here are just a few!
- Demotions or failure to promote
- Discrimination, including verbal or emotional abuse
- Negligent hiring and supervision of employees
- Retaliatory actions against existing employees
- Sexual and other forms of harassment, including religious persecution and transgender discrimination
- Violations of theAmericans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA)
- Wage and hour claims
- Wrongful terminations
Are you ready to receive protection from employment practices liability coverage? Contact Abbate Insurance in New Haven, Connecticut for all of your insurance needs.