Put these tips into practice to prevent cybercrime.
It’s safe to say that within the past decade, almost every business has taken to an online network. After all, it’s easy to store data, generate more business, and build your brand. However, no matter how effective the security tools protecting your network are, there’s no way to predict the damaged caused by one careless user. The war against cyber criminals is fought each time you store data, or your employee clicks on an unfamiliar link. One single mistake could be the reason for massive data loss.
Hackers these days are highly skilled in getting into business’ sensitive data. With access to employee Social Security numbers, client information, your accounts, one cyber criminal can do some serious damage.
Check out these top ten tips to keep your business protected!
- Use a strong password, consisting of characters and numbers. Don’t use the same password for multiple sites.
- Change your password every month. Encourage your employees to do the same.
- Turn off all your devices every evening. Ask your staff to shut down their computers before leaving for the day.
- Teach your team not to open suspicious-looking emails or click on unknown links.
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi as this is a shared network, one that can easily be hacked by trained criminals.
- Keep all antivirus and antispyware updated on every computer and device.
- Make backup copies of sensitive data and information, and store it in a safe location.
- Limit the number of employees that can access the company’s records.
- Put a plan together that states who will be responsible for shutting down systems and deleting data, should you network get compromised.
- Purchase cyber liability insurance.