Use these tips to help you navigate a car insurance accident claim.
Getting in a car accident is very stressful. From making sure that everyone is safe to getting the right information from all parties that are involved, it can seem like a lifetime before you ever make a claim. Keep these do’s and don’ts of car accident claims in mind to help the process go as smoothly as possible.
- Read your auto insurance policy from start to finish as soon as you get it. The more you know about your coverage, the better position you will be in when it comes to getting your settlement.
- Call your insurance agent as soon as possible. Other than the police or ambulance at the scene of the accident, your agent should be your first call.
- Keep a record of all communications that you have with your insurance agent that is associated with the claim.
- Save all of your receipts for costs that are related to the claim, including repair work or medical bills.
- Never volunteer any information about the accident to others who are involved or to the police on the scene. Stick to the facts and answer all questions as truthfully as you can.
- Do not admit that you were at fault for the accident, even if it is clear that you are. Admitting that you are guilty will make the claims process much more difficult.
- Do not sign any release paperwork at the scene or after. If you are asked to sign any documents and aren’t sure if they contain a release document, talk to an attorney before you sign them.
Having the right auto insurance policy can help to give you the peace of mind that you deserve during an accident. Contact Abbate Insurance in New Haven, Connecticut for all of your car insurance needs to keep you safe on the road.