Cheap and easy ways to make your home safer.
Safety may not always be the first thing you daydream when picturing the property of your dreams, but it is an important factor to consider. Your ability to insure, resell, or even just live comfortably in your home may depend on several safety and security factors. To help, take a look at these home safety hacks that are easy and affordable that make your home safer.
Avoid slip and falls
Keeping injuries to a minimum isn’t just important for the health of your family, but it can keep insurance premiums low, too.
- Create no-slip surfaces by adding anti-skid strips to steps, concrete porches, and decks.
- Secure handrails so that they are stable.
- Clean up spills when they happen.
No home can be 100% robbery-proof, but some simple fixes can help to prevent break-ins.
- Add deadbolts to outside-facing windows and doors.
- Avoid putting the spare key outside. Fake planters and ricks are well-known by career criminals.
- Invest in motion sensor lights that flick on when they detect a visitor. They are a great way of spooking away a thief.
Mold can cause illness and decrease the value of a property very quickly.
- Reduce humidity by keeping the level of moisture in your home below 40%.
- Ventilate the kitchen and bathroom in your home where steam and condensation is common.
- Paint using an inexpensive mold inhibitor to further protect walls and ceilings against mold growth.
Home insurance is there for you when you need it the most. Do you need help deciding which homeowners insurance policy to purchase? Visit Abbate Insurance for your insurance policies in New Haven and neighboring cities in Connecticut!