Get your boat ready for the first trip of the year.
The arrival of spring usually means one thing for boat owners – getting the boat ready for summer fun. It may have been many months since your boat went into winter storage, and it’s best to put some time into getting it ready to launch. To help, we’ve rounded up some must-do tasks to get it ready for boating season.
- Now is the time to check the oil and oil filter, especially if you did not do so before putting the boat into storage.
- Reinstall the battery or replace it with a new one. Make sure all electrical connections are tightened and the battery is secured in a marine battery box.
- Open the engine compartment to check for excess water in the bilge.
- Check for any electrical issues, such as loose, disconnected or corroded conductors.
- Fill your tank with the freshest, highest-quality fuel available.
- Inspect the boat before heading out. Check for hull damage and loose fittings. If the boat has a plug, make sure it fits correctly.
- Check all the lights and the horn.
- Test all life jackets to ensure they are in good working order.
- Check the tires on the trailer.
- Ensure your paperwork is up to date.
- Review your boat insurance to ensure you are properly covered.
Don’t wait until an emergency to find out that your coverage is lacking. Talk to a professional at Abbate Insurance to secure reliable boat insurance for your needs in New Haven and surrounding cities in Connecticut!