Thanksgiving is just around the corner, which means it is the perfect time to pull out your favorite family recipes. While celebrating the holiday and spending quality time with your friends and family, it is important to celebrate safely. Keep these Thanksgiving safety tips in mind to ensure everyone has a fun and safe holiday.
- Before you break out the cookbook, make sure to clean your stove and oven. Built up grease can easily cause a fire.
- Never leave your home when you are cooking so that you can keep an eye on your food and prevent any fires from starting.
- Create a “no kids zone” that is at least three feet away from the oven and the stove. Children can easily be injured from splattering grease or boiling water.
- Check all the fire alarms in your home to ensure that they are working properly. Replace any alarms that are outdated or that are not working.
- Have a fire extinguisher nearby that is rated for grease fires so that you can put out any small fires as soon as they start.
- Practice common sense when deep frying turkeys. Keep kids and pets away; setup the burner and pot outside and well away from your home and other structures; keep water away from the pot to avoid splattering; use oven mitts/gloves; keep constant watch on the fryer, don’t leave it unattended. Deep fried turkey is good; avoiding injury and the destruction of property is even better.
It is also important to make sure that your furry family members stay safe and avoid harming your guests and feast. Feeding your pet at the same time that you sit down to eat can help keep them preoccupied and out of the dining room to ensure that they are not begging for scraps.
Abbate Insurance Associates in New Haven, Connecticut would like to wish you and your family a safe and happy Thanksgiving. We invite you to contact us with your insurance questions and for all of your insurance needs this holiday season.
Leave A Comment