Prepare your home for the cooler weather in autumn.
Fall is the perfect time to keep up with your home maintenance before the winter hits. As the weather gets cooler, it’s essential to prepare your home for the cooler weather in autumn! The colder weather puts more strain on your house, leaving it exposed during this time. This autumn may bring large volumes of heavy rainfall, high winds, and low temperatures.
During a thunder, lightning, wind and rain storms, you will wish that you cleaned out the gutters when it was dry and bright. Don’t leave your home in the lurch, take these tips into account!
- Get your furnace cleaned and inspected annually by a qualified technician.
- Check your roof for damage, missing slates, or any leaks.
- Clean debris and leaves out from gutters.
- Position all downspouts away from the home’s foundation.
- Have your chimney cleaned and maintained annually by a professional.
- Insulate water pipes in areas exposed to cold temperatures.
- Reduce your electrical outlets potential fire hazards, such as frayed wires or overloading sockets.
- Remove lint from the dryer after each use, and clean dust from underneath and behind the appliance.
- Ensure smoke detectors are working, changing their batteries as needed.
- Eliminate any draughts that may be in the house.
- Keep a fire extinguisher accessible.
- Have sandbags ready in case of a flood.
Homeowners insurance is there to protect your property after a disaster. While the weather makes a turn for the worst, don’t leave your home unprotected. From fire, theft, natural disasters, and liability lawsuits, homeowners insurance is there to cover you through troubled times.