How to handle filing a car insurance claim.
When you’re involved in a car accident, you’re often in a state of shock, dealing with both emotional and physical distress. This can cause you to overlook important steps when filing an auto insurance claim to resolve the situation. Here are some things you should do – and shouldn’t do – when preparing to file your claim after an accident.
- Call emergency services. Even if no one is hurt, call the police so that they can create a report. In most cases, a police report is needed for a car insurance claim.
- Take pictures. Take pictures of the scene of the accident, the damage, and any other relevant information that can help your insurance agent piece together the events.
- Call your insurance agent immediately. Once you’ve made sure everyone is okay, call your insurance agent to let them know about the accident. He or she will be able to direct you in the next steps to follow.
- Don’t negotiate directly with angry drivers. Other drivers may not know the extent of damage and injury, which is why it’s best left to the insurance agents.
- Don’t admit fault. By admitting fault, we might be mistaken, which doesn’t represent the truth.
- Don’t wait! Talk to your insurance agent as soon as possible to ensure you file your claim quickly and smoothly.