Is your teen ready to get behind the wheel?
Last time you checked, your child was playing with toy trucks, and in flash, they’re ready for their own set of wheels. The first time that your teen gets behind the wheel marks a pivotal moment in your and your child’s life.
Allowing your child to roam free on the roads can be a scary thought. As a parent, you naturally have concerns about safety, but fortunately, with the development of the right set of skills and reliable auto insurance, your teen will be on the road to success!
To steer you in the right direction of a reliable teen driver and all-protective policy, here are the top 6 tips!
- Invest in a safe-driving course. Practice makes perfect, right? Right! Inexperienced drivers on the roads are more likely to be involved in, if not cause, accidents. Approved safe-driving courses can help teens to gain experience and skills.
- Get the safest car. While your 16-year-old might want the latest SUV or a nifty sports car, choose to supply them with a safe car – rather than a flashy one with limited safety features. Whether you choose a new model or an affordable second-hand car, check the safety rating first!
- Practice what you preach. If your teenager sees you texting and driving or cutting people off left, right, and center, they’re likely to adopt the same bad habits. Drive safely, buckle up, and avoid distractions.
- Limit them until they’re confident. Until they have at least 6 months of driving experience under their belt, limit the number of passengers that they can drive and how late at night they can be on the roads.
- Encourage good grades. As well as helping your child advance through life, good grades can land your teen a discount on their insurance policy. If your child is a full-time high school or college student and maintains a 3.0 (B) GPA or higher, he or she could be eligible for a Good Student Discount. Ask your insurer!
- Contact the local pros at Abbate Insurance, serving New Haven and Connecticut.