April is Distracted Driving Awareness Month, which means that it is time to make sure that you stay safe whenever you are behind the wheel. Driving while distracted is one of the most dangerous situations you can put yourself, and other drivers, in on the road.
There are three main types of distraction that you can face on the road, including:
- Manual, which is physically removing your hands from your steering wheel.
- Visual, which is taking your eyes off the road in front of you.
- Cognitive, which is thinking of something other than driving while you are behind the wheel.
While many people only think of smartphones as the cause of distracted driving, there are many other causes, including eating, using navigation systems, and trying to find the right radio station. However, texting is still one of the most dangerous distractions that you can face on the road, as it combines all three types of distractions.
There are many risk factors associated with distracted driving, including:
- Certain distraction activities, such as texting while driving, can take a drivers attention away from the road for longer periods of time and more frequently.
- Inexperienced, younger drivers under 20 years old are at an increased risk of driving while distracted, and have the highest proportion of fatal, distraction related crashes.
- Almost 50 percent of high school students in the United States who are 16 years old or older email or text while driving.
Having the right auto insurance policy is the best way to make sure that you are protected from any peril on the road. Contact the insurance professionals at Abbate Insurance in New Haven, Connecticut for all of your car insurance needs.