[wpv-view name=”gtk-styling-form-view” limit=”1″ orderby=”post_date” order=”desc”]

Are My Belongings Covered by Homeowners Insurance While Moving?

Relocating can be thrilling and exhausting at the same time, but it doesn’t change the fact that you would be moving most, if not all, of your belongings with you. Undoubtedly, arranging your property in boxes and hauling them across the state, or city, whichever the case might be, is not an easy task, even with a moving company involved.

You’d need to handle your goods with care to avoid damage. However, there is no guarantee that they will not get damaged while on the move. If you have homeowners insurance, you may be wondering if it will cover any damage to your belongings while moving. Read on to find out!

What Is Homeowners Insurance?

Homeowners insurance covers damage to your home and belongings in the event of theft, fire, or other covered peril. The coverage can be based on the actual cash value of the items covered or their replacement cost.

What Is Covered by Homeowners Insurance?

A basic home insurance policy provides coverage for the following:

Home’s Structure

Coverage for your home’s structure is an essential component of your home insurance. It also covers other structures attached to your home, like patios, garage, etc. However, the damage must be caused by an explosion, aircraft/vehicle, hailstorm, windstorm, theft, vandalism, or other covered risks.

Personal Belongings

Your furniture, clothes, and appliances will be covered by a homeowners policy. This coverage takes up about 50-70% of your insurance cost. Sometimes, it covers belongings that are not in the same location as your home. This means that even when you travel out of the country, your belongings will be covered.


In case of a lawsuit for damages (bodily or property damage) for which you or your family members are held liable, home insurance will cover the cost of such lawsuits. It may also cover the damage your pet does to others or their property. Liability coverage pays for both court defense, and fines levied against you.

Additional Living Expenses

Additional living expenses cover the cost of living away from home in case it becomes inhabitable. It includes the cost of feeding, moving, getting temporary accommodation, and other related expenses.

What Is Not Covered by Homeowners Insurance? 

Wear and Tear

Any damage to your home or property due to prolonged use is not covered by homeowners insurance. For instance, if your ventilation system stops working after 10-15 years, it will not be covered.


Although home insurance covers natural disasters like hailstorms, windstorms, and lightning fire damage, it does not cover damage caused by earthquakes.


Flood damage both to your home’s structure and belongings is considered a high-risk and treated as such by most insurers. Homeowners insurance will cover water damage due to plumbing, but not flood damage. Instead, you will need a separate flood insurance policy to cover such damages.

What about Damage to Belongings While Moving?

Homeowners insurance does not provide coverage for damage to belongings on the move, but many moving companies are mandated to have their own liability coverage for compensating such damage. This coverage can be of two types

  • Released value protection that covers belongings based on weight instead of their actual value.
  • Full value protection offers complete coverage for value, unlike released value coverage. It is ideal for high-value belongings like jewelry.

There is a limit to what your homeowners insurance can and cannot cover, which is why you need additional insurance when moving. At Abbate Insurance, we can help with coverage for your new home, condo, or apartment.  Contact us today to get a quote!

Leave A Comment

Our team of associates would like to learn more about your unique insurance needs  Contact Us